Build Vikunja from source #
To fully build Vikunja from source files, you need to build the api and frontend.
Table of contents
General Preparations #
- Make sure you have git installed
- Clone the repo with
git clone https://code.vikunja.io/vikunjaand switch into the directory.
The code for the frontend is located in the
frontend/ sub folder of the main repo.
- Make sure you have pnpm properly installed on your system.
- Install all dependencies with
- Build the frontend with
pnpm run build. This will result in a static js bundle in the
- You can either deploy that static js bundle directly, or read on to learn how to bundle it all up in a static binary with the api.
The Vikunja API has no other dependencies than go itself. That means compiling it boils down to these steps:
- Make sure Go is properly installed on your system. You’ll need at least Go
- Make sure Mage is properly installed on your system.
- If you did not build the frontend in the steps before, you need to either do that or create a dummy index file with
mkdir -p frontend/dist && touch index.html.
mage buildin the source of the main repo. This will build a binary in the root of the repo which will be able to run on your system.
Build for different architectures #
To build for other platforms and architectures than the one you’re currently on, simply run
mage release or
More options are available, please refer to the magefile docs for more details.